Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Quick weekend dinner - Pesto Quinoa with Chicken, Broccoli, and Sundried Tomatoes

My husband was working last weekend and I was in need of a quick meal that I could whip up while entertaining a 10 month old.  I had some chicken defrosting in the fridge and I wanted to use up some frozen broccoli I had in the freezer.  Pasta sounded good but I did not have any in the pantry.  So I reached for the quinoa again and tried to get a little creative.  So, I scrounged through the refrigerator and found some pesto, sundried tomatoes, and parmesan.

I baked my chicken breasts ahead of time so I could just throw everything together right before my husband walked through the door.  Once they were done I chopped them up, along with my sun-dried tomatoes.



Next I cooked the quinoa in chicken stock to give it a little extra flavor, and steamed my broccoli.

10-15 minutes later we were ready to throw it all together in the pot and toss in a couple tablespoons of pesto.

I decided to top if off with some shaved parmesan.
It was a nice quick meal, and the husband and little guy enjoyed it.  I am really starting to enjoy cooking with quinoa.

Pesto Quinoa with Chicken, Sun-dried Tomatoes, and Broccoli
1 cup of dried quinoa
2 cups of chicken stock
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
2 cups of broccoli (can use fresh or frozen- I had frozen on hand)
1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
3 Tablespoons of basil pesto
Parmesan shavings for garnish

Cook quinoa in chicken stock according to package directions.  Meanwhile, Steam broccoli 8-10 minutes, or until tender.  Chop cooked chicken and sun-dried tomatoes.  Add to cooked quinoa.  Mix in 3 Tablespoons of pesto and serve. Top with shaved parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment