Saturday, September 8, 2012

Roasted Tomatoes with Shrimp and Feta

I ran across this recipe about 8 years ago when I was in college in Ann Arbor and was receiving a monthly subscription to Real Simple magazine.  That was when Facebook was just making its way across colleges, and pinning recipes on Pinterest did not exist.  I often found myself ripping pages out of a magazine and sticking them in my recipe box for later use.  Most of them were not put to use until I was married 3 years ago.

I remembered I had this little gem tucked with my recipes when my mom pulled it up on Pinterest during our visit to Florida and made it for our family one evening.  I have made it twice since then, usually when I have a lot of tomatoes to use up in the summer months.  I whipped it up this past week, and it was YUM, YUM, YUM.


I had to take a picture to prove that I had the original published magazine recipe.  Or you can find the original one online here.

It really is simple.  I cut up some tomatoes (I did not measure anything for this--I pretty much used what I had on hand at home).  Added minced garlic, EVOO, and salt and pepper and popped it in the over for 20 minutes.


In the meantime I got the shrimp ready, and topped it off with a little extra salt and pepper.


After the 20 minutes I threw in the shrimp, lemon juice, and feta.  I did not have fresh parsley on hand, so I used dried basil and oregano to give it a little more flavor.  I have used fresh basil before, and I would have used it again if I had not let the second plant I had this summer perish due to the extreme heat. (I do not have a green thumb-obviously). 

In the pan went back into the oven for another 10 minutes.

During that time I was able to catch my two guys having some fun on the kitchen floor (my husband is going to kill me for posting this!)


After the 10 minutes, we served it up and enjoyed.  The original recipe states to serve with crusty bread, which would be delicious, but I think it would be great on rice or pasta as well.  We decided to put it on a bed of quinoa, just to change it up.


This was the best picture I could get.  My husband scooped it up for me since I was having to feed our little guy, so I was not able to make it too presentable.  But it sure tasted good!

ROASTED TOMATOES WITH SHRIMP AND FETA
from Real Simple

Ingredients
5 large tomatoes, cut into eighths
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
salt and pepper (as desired)
1 1/2 pounds of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1 cup of crumbled feta

Directions
1. Heat overn to 450 F, Place tomatoes in large baking dish and spoon garlic and olive oil over.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss.  Roast on top rack of oven for 20 minutes.
3. Remove dish from over and stir in shrimp, parsley, and lemon juice.  Sprinkle with feta.
4. Return to oven until shrimp are cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve


No comments:

Post a Comment